This year’s WALK A MILE IN HER SHOES® event takes place on Sunday May 27, 2018 at Bracebridge Rotary Centre. On event day, men from across Muskoka will strap on high heels and find out what it is like to "WALK A MILE IN HER SHOES®."
Since 2014, over 170 men in Muskoka have agreed to take themselves lightly in support of a serious issue that affects all of us. They walk a mile in high heels (shoes which YWCA Muskoka provides in sizes 9 to 17) and together they have raised $17,000 each year enabling YWCA Muskoka, a local charity to provide educational programs, workshops and advocate on violence prevention.
YWCA Muskoka is a community charity, a YW without Walls serving people across the region of Muskoka. Our mission is to champion positive change for women and girls through education, leadership and advocacy. Violence prevention is one of our four main strategic directions and a pillar for programs like Girlz Unplugged and Quest (for boys in grades 5 to 10) and initiatives like Girlspace Leadership, the #notokay campaign, and Week Without ViolenceTM. Walk a Mile Muskoka also helps fund the YW’s December 6th Fund which provides interest free loans for women fleeing domestic violence.
- Although domestic violence is a very serious matter, this is a fun and light-hearted event.
- Our goal is to raise $ 20,000
- This is a donation-based event with no registration fee.
- Participants may register as an individual, join an existing team or create their own team.
- Donations can be made to the Walk's general fund or to a specific walker.
- Participants of all ages, inter-generational teams are welcome!
- We suggest a personal goal of $250 to $1000
For more info please visit: http://www.ywcamuskoka.com/walk-a-mile-in-her-shoes